Source: Attorney General’s Office
- Install lighting at the front and back as well as near any side doors of your business.
- Try to eliminate as many shadows as possible.
- Use only solid core doors. Be sure the door frames cannot easily be jimmied.
- Use dead-bolts and be sure to change the locks every time an employee with access to them leaves.
- Install burglar-resistant glass or use wire mesh or iron bars over all glass.
- Arrange merchandise so that a passerby can see into the store.
- Keep your expensive merchandise away from the windows, toward the center of the store. Keep front windows free from posters, etc., which can prevent a burglar inside from being seen by a passerby.
- Install and use a drop safe. Limit the amount of cash in the register and post signs indicating that a drop safe is used and register only has limited cash.
- Check ventilation system to ensure it can not be used to gain entry.